Skip to main content

Q1: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



Here's the text version of what I'm saying in the video above:



Digipack:

For the front cover I have used a combination of a photograph and digital images to create it. Front covers tend to be one media, like a painting, photograph or digital artwork. Therefore I feel like I've subverted from genre expectations. The people walking forward on the bass guitar string are red and blue to match my overall package theme. The front cover doesn't feature the band, as many indie bands tend to not feature on the front cover. Using Dafont.com I choose a unique font and created my band logo from that. The logo has a main colour of red but with a blue glow, helping to add to the band identity. Using these colours over and over again the digipack, website and music video creates a motif that the audience can associate with the band. Hence my album cover is conventional in some aspects. The digipack includes song lyrics, band photos and song credits. On the back cover there is record label logo, copyright information, barcode, website adressses (for the band and record label), and track listing. All what you'd expect to find on a typical CD
The inspiration for the style of some of the images in the insert booklet comes from the cover of Lou Reed's Transformer album. The cover was from a Mick Rock photograph that became over-exposed. To recreate this effect I manipulated the images in photoshop using the posterize tool and turned them black and white. I've also used this posterize effect on the animated images on the band website to give the package a harmonious feel.













The Website:


For the website I followed the conventions and included things that fans would expect to find on there: gigs, a shop, news, contact information, gallery, music and a Twitter Feed. As well as buttons to external sites, such as Spotify and iTunes. Looking at professional band websites I found that many bands in the indie genre had gone for a fairly minimalist look for their front page. Oasis's website in particular had a backdrop that was animated. For my background I have three images on loop in red and blue. Throughout the website the colours are the same as the ones in the music video and digipack (red/blue and black/white), and the fonts are also consistent throughout. 

The band logo and image from the digipack front cover is also on the homepage to create a coherent image. The pre-order message lets the audience know that there is new music available soon and creates a buzz for the artists. 

The website adheres to Richard Dyer's Star Theory. The theory talks about the connection between a 'star' and their audience. According to Dyer a 'star' is constructed through a range of media texts to be sold to the audience. My website focuses on building up the 'star image' through, gallery, merchandise and gigs offered to fans. Star Theory can also be applied to my music video and digipack as they also focus on the band and creating an image. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Screen practice

Today I decided to have a go at using a green screen, I want to see if it would be something that I could use for my music video. I used this article to help me get rid of the green background in Premiere Pro: How to Chroma Key in Adobe Premiere Pro Chroma keying is usually something that is done in After Effects, but sometimes, whether the simplicity of the project or just the fact that you do not want to send your footage to After Effects, you'll want to chroma key in Premiere Pro. Premiere Pro comes with a great keyer built right in called "ultra key." Here's a short video, note this is only for practice purposes and trying out the keying setting on Premiere Pro. After trying out the green I don't think I would use it in the music video, because it would be hard to make it look like the two aren't different images due to lighting consistency, and I don't think it would fit in with the narrative/song I'm thinking about making a music video fo

Album Cover Testers

We were tasked with taking photos against a consistent background for album covers in preparation for the digipack task later on in the course. There were a range of different typical album cover shots to choose from, I also added in a few extra as well. For the photos I used a DSLR on a tripod, and I also decided to set up an additional light source to the right of camera to create harsher shadows.  The light source (two phones attached to a hole punch with blue tac) 'WE ARE A LOT OF FUN' Album Cover: For this photo I changed the green screen to black on Photoshop so that we stood out against the background. I later de-saturated the image a little, and adjusted the colour balance to give it a red hue. I also used a ball prop to make us look more 'fun'.  'GANGSTER' Album Cover: This image was also ran through Photoshop. Again I got rid of the bright green background. For the 'gangster' look I decided to have an out of focus clenched hand c

Popscene recreation filming

Today we filmed for our recreation of Popscene, here are some photos I took for the CD cover task alongside the one minute recreation of the music video. For the background we used black paper so that we had a simple background which made the band stand out. We decided to get shots from a variety of angles and positions to give the music video interesting for the audience and to stay similar to the original. There were a few takes done from above with me standing above the band looking down at them with the camera. Then I went round the group following the action and getting close-up shots of each person and shots of their feet. We had quite a simple mise-en-scene for our performance music video: Guitar/bass guitar (with leads) drum kit (with drum sticks ) amplifiers microphone and stand Wet floor cone While filming the video we decided to get photos for our CD cover. I took quite a few so that we had large enough selection for the inlay. Here are some of them: