Skip to main content

Textual Analysis of a music video/digipack/website


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Initial Music Video ideas

I've started thinking about which songs that I can do for the music video task. I was think about She's Lost Control by Joy Division because I could imagine a narrative following a person that was lost control of their life. However I'm quite reluctant to make a music video for this song, even though it hasn't got one already, it's still quite a famous song and band, therefore I couldn't include a band in video and I like to idea of having both a narrative and performance video in one. Another song idea I had was Moaning Lisa Smile by Wolf Alice, I had a few ideas about this song but there is already a music video to it. She's Hearing Voices by Bloc Party is another song I am considering, as the lyrics are interesting and have a possible reference to the Matrix, which means I can include intertextual references in my video. There is also no music video to this songs,which is good and a narrative/performance video could work with the track. Joy Division -...

Locations (Music Video, Digipack, and Website)

For the music video I'm going to be using six different locations. While at these locations I plan to also take photos for the digipack and band website as this will make it feel like a proper promotional package rather than three individual things. Another reason is that I will have all the band members, so I should be able to get some group photos. The classroom/corridor scene will be filmed in school; the 'dark room' in a store room; band performance in the school hall; the walk to school/protagonist walking to be filmed near to where I live, and the bedroom scene at my house.  5 Ingleton Rd, Hasland, Chesterfield S41, UK | Instant Street View This is where I am planning to shoot the bridge/street scene, as it is a quiet location but has the potential to get a variety of shots. I could film on the top of the hill to get an establishing or a scenic background. It also has a bridge and a train line.

Filming 16/01/17

Today I filmed the shots in the dark room. Using a combination of LED lights: with one barn door light with a red gel placed over half of it to add a bit of colour, and phone lights to create a chiaroscuro lighting rig. For good measure a green screen was used to get a plain background. Filming with little light isn't ideal for DSLRs, as their sensors aren't like professional film making cameras. Here's a collection of shots from today. Using GIMP 2, a free alternative to Photoshop, I've edited the photos to match my blue/red theme by layering several of the same photo and then adjusting the cyan and red balance, opacity and position.